Tax Videos

Tax Relief Videos

Can the IRS Take My House?

Claudia Revermann answers the question – “I owe taxes, can the IRS take my home?” It’s a common question we get asked, and it has an important answer.

View Video Transcript

So one the questions we get really often from our clients is, “Hey, I owe taxes can the IRS take my house?” We get it. The IRS can be really scary to work with, they can be intimidating. In many cases, you’re receiving letters where they’re saying they’re gonna lean your home or they’re going to levy your bank accounts or your wages. In those cases, and in most cases, they really just want you to come to the table and talk to them about how you’re gonna deal with the tax issue. And, so that’s where we’re willing to help you with that – maybe it’s in the form of an installment arrangement where you’re making monthly payments or maybe it’s an offer in compromise where you’re setting your tax debt for a smaller amount. However, do keep in mind that the IRS does have the ability to seize your home and force a sale. There’s a very specific process that they have to go through, and if you get a notice of seizure, it’s super important that you respond right away. We’d love to help you with that, if that’s your case, because more than likely there’s a way to work around it.

Can I go to jail for tax debt?

What do Martha Stewart, Nicholas Cage and Willie Nelson have in common? Claudia Revermann shares the answer, and explains if you can go to jail for tax debt.

View Video Transcript

What does Martha Stewart, Nicholas Cage and Willie Nelson has in common? Well, they’ve gone to prison for tax fraud. I don’t mean to make light of it. It’s a really serious thing. People that come and work with us often ask, “Am I gonna go to jail, because I owe a tax debt?” A lot of times these tax issues that turn into jail time stem from an audit. So, if you have fraudulently not reported income on your tax returns. If you falsely taken a business expenses, let’s say on the returns, it could subject you to 70 percent civil penalty on the amount owed, but also the IRS does have the option to file criminal charges against you. So, a lot of times if you’ve cooperative, they’ll choose not to do that. Otherwise, federal agents could also get involved a lot of times we’re asked because people will have someone contact them saying the IRSis saying that I’m under criminal investigation. Believe me you will know if agents come to you they have to show certain proof of identification and they’ll issue you a summons so you would know that. So, basically fraud could equal jail time, and negligence which is making a mistake or even if you’re careless on your returns, that is just a civil penalty. Both are very serious, but we would welcome the opportunity to work with you to figure that out.

How to stop a bank levy or wage garnishment?

A COMMON question we get often is, “How can you help me stop a bank levy or wage garnishment?” Claudia explains why this is happening and ways we can help.

View Video Transcript

People approached us and asked us quite often hey how can you help to stop a bank levy or wage garnishment that’s been put on me well here’s what’s happened so you owe money to the IRS and they haven’t heard from you either they haven’t received full payment or they haven’t heard anything from you as far as trying to resolve the debt and so they have to send you what’s called a notice of intent to levy and they send that by certified mail and then once 30 days goes by if you haven’t responded or work something else out with them they have the right to go to your bank or to your employer and in the case of the bank the bank would take the money out of your accounts and give it to the IRS or in the case of an employer they’d garnish your wages up to an amount that’s allowed by law now you’re probably depending on the money that you’re earning of course and also the money that’s sitting in your bank accounts and so is it possible to get that money back it is in certain circumstances basically the IRS wants to hear from you so how are you gonna pay the debt back and there’s so many options we can explore for you so either maybe you qualify the for the Fresh Start program where you start making automated automated payments to them or maybe we compromise your debt by doing an offer and compromise where we offer to pay something less than what you owe it all depends on your own personal financial situation but those are ways that we can help.

The Truth about the IRS’ Tax Forgiveness Program

There’s really no such thing. Claudia Revermann explains what’s misleading about other tax relief companies saying they can help you get into the IRS’ Tax Forgiveness Program.

View Video Transcript

You may have seen other tax relief companies claim that they? can get you into the IRS Tax forgiveness program. There’s really no such thing. There are ways in order to get your tax debt relieved or reduced. One option would be bankruptcy. So, if you meet very certain criteria, you can have that included in your bankruptcy and relieved. Another way is to look at the statute of limitations. The IRS has 10 years to collect the taxes from you. So, for instance, if you’ve received a notice that you have a tax lean against you, they include an assessment date. If 10 years has gone by and they still haven’t collected the tax, that tax goes away. And then the third way is an offer in compromise. So if you are eligible, meaning you don’t have enough assets and you don’t have enough income after your expenses to pay your taxes, we can approach the IRS and say hey, we’ll pay you something smaller than the amount too. So we’d love to help you out and see if you’re eligible for this.

Let’s Work Together

To get started, contact our office to ask questions or select the button below to schedule a meeting with one of our attorneys to discuss your situation.

Revermann Logo-white

Revermann Law
Phone: (320) 258-9383
130 Division St, Suite 118
Waite Park, MN 56387

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday: 8 am - 5 pm
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed

All content on this website is intended to be informational only and does not create an attorney-client relationship and does not intend to constitute legal advice.